Hong Kong
  • Singapore
  • UK
  1. Osome Blog Hong Kong
  2. Calculating Taxes: The Self-employed & Freelancer Guide

Calculating Taxes: The Self-employed & Freelancer Guide

In order to know how to calculate freelance taxes, it’s important to understand the bigger picture. So let’s start there. If you’re self-employed in Hong Kong, income tax is a legal and going-nowhere-obligation. The good news is that the rates you pay here are some of the most attractive globally and compared to most European and Asian countries, they’re also considerably lower. A great start, isn’t it?

In this article, we’ll look a bit closer at self-employment in this context, and unpack the tax obligations most relevant to freelancers in Hong Kong.

By the way, if you decided to take it one step further and set up your private limited in Hong Kong, we can help you make it official, let us know!

Freelancing & Self-employed: A Definition

Here’s a simple way to unpack the definition of someone who is self-employed or operating as a freelancer in Hong Kong. In the context of this article, it applies to any individual whose profession, trade or business earns them an income through:

  • Providing professional services
  • Providing personal services
  • Buying goods
  • Selling goods

To paint a clearer picture of those definitions when it comes to the formal business structure, a self-employed person or freelance could be operating as:

  • A sole proprietor
  • A partner of a partnership business

I’m Self-employed. What Are My Tax Obligations?

Get started in Hong Kong.

Your complete guide on how to start a business in Hong Kong.

So you’re self-employed and deriving an income from within Hong Kong? An important consideration is that your taxes are not automatically deducted from what you earn. After all, you’re operating as an individual and not starting a business in Hong Kong. This means it falls on you to be aware of your responsibilities and stay tax compliant (don’t worry, we’re here to help along the way).

It’s easy to get swept up in the day-to-day of running your business and let the less-sexy things (like tax planning) fall by the wayside. The best way to tackle these tax obligations is to keep them top of mind and face them head on. Unless you’ve already received the tax return from the IRD, you’ll need to notify them in wiring about your tax liability.

Different people resonate with different methods of motivation, here’s an example of how you could compartmentalise the whats, whens and whys of tax obligations as a freelancer in Hong Kong:

Sufficient & comprehensive business records or related documents Keep ‘em all. For at least 7 years.
Business books prepped based on your accounting records Annually, with every tax return.
A completed tax return outlining all business profits & losses (supplied to the Companies Registry) Within 3 months from the issuing date of Individual Tax Return
Official notice to the IRD about cessation of business Case-by-case (i.e as, if or when it may occur)
Official notice to the IRD about change of business address Within 1 month of physical change

To Calculate Your Taxes, First Calculate Your Income

More specifically, your net income (i.e. assessable income after deductions and allowances) as a freelance professional. Your vocation in the world of self-employment may be trailblazing but in the eyes of the IRD you’re deemed an independent contractor. This means paying a flat rate of  7.5% on the first HK$2million earned and 15% on the rest of your profits.

Sole Proprietorship or Partnership Business?

Regardless of the structure or business model you settle into, you’ll still be subject to profits tax on the (assessable) profits you make. We’ve broken it down below but if you need an actual human to chat it through with you, just shoot us a message.

Sole proprietorship (100% ownership of your business)

For sole-proprietorship business, the salary that you pay yourself should not be reported under Part 4 (Salaries Tax) of the BIR60 form, but it would be under business profits -Item 7 (Assessable Profit) in Part 5 (Profits Tax) of the form.

Owner of more than 1 sole-proprietorship business? Impressive.

Don’t forget to supply details of both of those sole-proprietorship businesses in the BIR60 form (just keep the particulars of each separate)

Partnership (The business isn’t 100% owned by you)

Unlike the example above where details are reported in Part 5 of BIR60, this case is different.  A partnership where a business is not solely owned by you for the full year, you’ll ned to report on the Profits Tax Return (BIR52)

Got any questions?

Our team’s just a click away to answer them. We’ll take over your accounting tasks for your company . ‘Cause this entrepreneur grind is tough. But we know you’re tougher.

Share this post:

Tips to run your business smarter.
Delivered to you monthly.

You'll receive a verification email you'll have to open and confirm the subscription.

You might like it


Paypal vs Stripe: Comparing Pros & Cons of 2 Payment Gateways

As an e-commerce business owner, you would have heard of payment gateways PayPal and Stripe. With these two big platforms being the most popular online payment gateways, you may face a dilemma when it comes to deciding which payment gateway to use.

Entrepreneur's Bootcamp

What Is a Compliance Calendar?

The repercussions of missing crucial deadlines extend beyond non-compliance and can even include hefty fines, lost revenues and opportunities, as well as decreased productivity.


An Online Seller's Guide to E-commerce Fulfillment & Shipping

Here’s a guide to e-commerce fulfilment and shipping for new sellers in Hong Kong looking to drive revenue from online sales. Find out more about the methods, models and software that’ll help you scale the business you’ve worked hard to build.


Tips For Amazon Sellers To Better Manage Your Inventory

Brand owners and sellers of all scales struggle to seek a well-balanced supply chain. Additionally, Amazon has its own inventory management rules, which makes everything even tougher.


The 10 Best E-commerce Hosting Services in 2021

When you are setting up your e-commerce shop, the right hosting provider can make all the difference. However, with a variety of options out there, choosing the best one can be confusing.


What To Include in an E-commerce Invoice?

For business owners who own and run an online store, you probably already know that invoices must be sent to your customers for the services you provide or the goods you sell, as a form of purchase proof.


What Are the Penalties for Late Filing of Documents?

You will usually need to file your documents by a fixed time however, business owners are often so busy with business engagement that they forget about the deadlines.


How To Set Up Your Own Employment Agency

Given the importance of employment agencies, it is no doubt that they play an integral role in Hong Kong's economic success. Find out how to start an employment agency in Hong Kong as the world hurtles to define a new future of work.


How Packaging Inserts Can Increase Your E-commerce Revenue

As a business owner, you can use packaging inserts to publicise your products. Placing your focus on existing customers also means that you do not have to splurge extra dollars on marketing.


A Guide to Reducing Taxable Income for Small Businesses

As a business owner, you can’t escape paying taxes. But what kind of taxes would you have to pay, and how are you taxed?


5 Profitable E-Commerce Niches Worth Looking At

If you’re just starting or looking to go in a new direction, finding a lucrative niche will make every part of running your e-commerce business easier. This article will look at trending e-commerce niches to consider.

Customer Stories

How RoyalKey Saved 4h/day & Reduced Stress with Osome

For Denis Andrei Valcu, setting up his own business was his dream and passion. Fast forward to today, the company he set up, RoyalKey, gets most of their business through gaming channels, honing their reputation as a go-to for gamers’ software needs.

Tips to run your business smarter. Delivered to you monthly.

You'll receive a verification email you'll have to open and confirm the subscription.

We’re using cookies! What does it mean?