Permanent Resident — immigration status with most rights second only to being a citizen. A PR holder receives nearly all vital rights except a right to vote and hold public service and most of the social benefits. Foreign workers, their spouses and other dependents are eligible for this status.
Who can apply to become a Singapore PR?
- Spouse of a Singapore citizen or PR
- Unmarried child aged below 21 from a legal marriage or adoption by Singapore citizen or PR
- Aged parent of a Singapore citizen
- Employment Pass or S Pass holder
- Student studying in Singapore
- Foreign investor in Singapore
What are the requirements to become a PR?
MHA accepts all applications for PR status online. You will need a SingPass account to do so, or a Foreign Identification Number (for students). There is a S$100 non-refundable fee for each application, and other fees for entry permits and Identity cards ranging from S$30 to S$100 for each successful applicant. The normal timeline is 4-6 months, though special cases may take longer. The documents required for each individual application include:
- Explanatory Notes
- Document List Foreign investors in Singapore apply at the Singapore Economic Development Board under the Global Investor Programme.
Read our articles & guides
- How to Open a Corporate Bank Account in Singapore
- Will the New Laws Scare the Business Away from the British Virgin Islands?
- How to Report About your Business Activity Type
- How to Start a Business in Singapore from New Zealand?
- How do I choose between Sole Proprietorship and Private Limited company in Singapore?